Jo Jena started playing the guitar at the age of 10 in berlin (the wall had just come down). His teachers were Arion Levy and Michael Gechter. 1 of 100 guitarists with Rhys Chatham. recipient of berklee scholarship. participant of ensemble modern junior forum. Emphasis on improvisation, ambient & avantgarde. Independent release of music recordings via “instauratio minima musicarum“ since 2004
free solo log (since 2022) by Jo Jena, Bandcamp, 2022 on #neuguitars #blog
this log contains a number of solo guitar sets improvised in the free solo style, but I hesitate to call it “fslog” though:
– start without (conscious) concepts and ideas
– only first takes are chosen, no oberdubbing
– the solo sets are quasi studio live concerts with only short breaks between electric and acoustic parts
– the use of a looper or various loopers is allowed, but the loops need to be created during the performance
– only marginal editing is done, if any
– the pieces are only lightly post-processed and mastered, comparable to classical recordings
this approach was previously also presented in the albums solo I-IV. with solo IV, the free solo approach then became a whole album itself, a point that signifies the end of a development of this format. future albums will follow different (less free) concepts, hence these free improvisations are now more likely to be presented in this “werkstatt” format.
download contains pics of post-scores.
released August 7, 2022
boden electric 7-string guitar, stoll custom 7 string acoustic guitar, guitar synths, fx, mixing – jo jena
mastering by landr
recorded at studio raumstation.
special thanks to E.
instauratio minima musicarum 2022-x